The Mailer Identifier (MID) is a field within the Intelligent Mail barcode that is used to identify mailers. MIDs are assigned by the USPS® to a Mail Owner, Mailing Agent or other service providers who request them.
MIDs are either a 9-digit or a 6-digit numeric code and are assigned based on annual mail volume criteria. One 9-digit MID is assigned to a business location without a volume requirement.
The Mailer ID Service enables you to:
- Search a CRID that may be tied to your account Customer Registration ID
- Request a new MID
- Add a customer reference or nickname for your MID
- Set up a data distribution profile for acquiring scan data related to (Full Service ACS, IMb Tracing, Full-Service Start-The-Clock/Container Visibility, Tray Visibility, and Bundle Visibility)
- Delegate your profile to be managed either from one account or by someone else
- Set up an ACS billing and Sign up for MID-based eInduction processing
To Apply For a Mailer Identifier:
A Mailer Identifier (Mailer ID or MID) is required for the IMb. New Mailer IDs are assigned through centralized USPS® processes, generally through the Mailer ID system at Business Customer Gateway. Refer to the User Access to Electronic Mailing Information and Reports Guide on PostalPro for step-by-step instructions for using the Mailer ID system.
The Mailer Identifier (MID) Exception Process page on PostalPro explains the few exceptions to using the Business Customer Gateway to obtain new Mailer IDs, such as when requesting multiple Mailer IDs or Mailing Agents acting on behalf of Mail Owners.
To access these Mailer ID features, log into the Business Customer Gateway and navigate to the Mailer ID tool.